Declaring a Major & Being Assigned an SPLH Mentor/Advisor
Kristina Youngblood, Academic Advisor from College Advising and Student Services is our dedicated SPLH undergraduate advisor. She will be available to assist you with academic advising, particularly in the area of College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) requirements.
- Declaring your SPLH major. Ms Youngblood can do this for you. Please make an appointment with her to declare your major. Students can schedule an appointment with her either online through MySuccess via the myKU Portal or by calling College Advising & Student Services at (785) 864-3500 during normal business hours (8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday). She does not schedule appointments via email as her availability changes quickly. Office hours in the SPLH office will be Thursdays from 1:00-4:30PM and some Fridays from 11:30AM through 4:30PM.
- Completing your plan of study. Ms Youngbloodvan can also assist you with this. After you have created a plan of study, you should go over it with your faculty mentor/advisor (faculty member assigned to you by Becky Harris).
- In the semester before you plan to graduate, meet with M Youngblood for a graduation check.
- Ms Youngblood is also available to help you with questions about classes and enrollment to meet graduation requirements throughout your undergraduate career.
Once you have declared your major, Becky Harris will assign you an SPLH faculty mentor. Your faculty mentor/advisor is available to help you select electives, complementary minors and majors, and co-curricular activities as well as answer questions about graduate school and careers post-graduation. After meeting with Ms. van Haandel, please e-mail your plan of study to your assigned SPLH faculty mentor and request an advising appointment with your SPLH mentor/advisor. You should also visit the opportunities section to learn about co-curricular activities to discuss with your mentor.
Applying for Graduate School Tutorial
Students should begin thinking about applying to graduate school in the Spring of their Junior year. Please review the Graduate School Application Tutorial for a timeline of activities and make an appointment with your faculty mentor to discuss your graduate school application plans.
- Graduate School Application Tutorial
- KU Graduate Admissions Information
- SPLH Educational Records Waiver
- How to apply – KU’s MA SLP
- How to apply – KU’s AuD
- How to apply – KU’s PhD (SLP or AUD)
Group Advising Slides
Each semester around enrollment time faculty mentors present advising reminders in certain SPLH classes. You can view the presentation slides and recordings here.
Helpful Advising Links
- SPLH Educational Records Waiver for Student Letters of Recommendation
- Costs and Scholarship Information
- Private Scholarship Information
- University Advising Center
- College Advising & Student Services (CASS)
- Degree Progress Report (DPR) Information
- CASS Forms and Petitions (change of school, MCS, Schedule Change Form, FacEx Exception, Transfer credit, Student Account Services)
- CASS Policies (academic misconduct/standing, course withdrawal, departmental honors, probation and dismissal)